Thursday, February 9, 2012

Not Pinocchio's Story

I'd feel pretty ridiculous if I called him my imaginary friend. He doesn't have a name, and I don't talk to him or pretend he's real. He doesn't exist, but I wish he did.
I was a really lonely little girl when I was younger. I didn't make very many friends when I was in grade school and I felt ignored by my family. My parents didn't neglect me, but they were busy a lot. Being lonely was awful. It broke my dad's heart when my little sister came home from school and told him that she played with me at recess because I was sitting on the steps all by myself.
At night I was holding my teddy bear and trying not to cry. I was probably seven, maybe eight years old. I snuck upstairs, still clutching the furry comforting bear, and pulled back the curtain that covered the family room window. I made a wish on a star that I would have someone to take care of me. I don't know what I expected or why I did this, or even what the wish would mean, but somehow I knew that my wish would come true.
That night I had a dream I was very sick. I was alone, I was sick, and I was scared. A stranger came to me, and held me. I didn't know who he was, but it felt like I had known him for a long time. He was young, tall, and had dark curly hair. His eyes were brown and had a friendly smile. I didn't feel alone anymore and I knew that the wish I had made came true.
That wasn't the only time I saw him. I had more dreams about him. He held my hand, told me stories, took care of me. I finally had a friend.
Sometimes I felt stupid for holding onto him. As I got older, I had less and less dreams where he would visit until he disappeared entirely. Even though I don't see him anymore, I don't feel abandoned. It doesn't feel like he really left me.
If I wake up from a nightmare or if I'm laying there at night feeling lonely, I close my eyes and imagine him. My heart beat will slow to a steady pace and I lay there breathing until I drift off to sleep. Sometimes I wish he were real, but I don't think he was ever meant to be real. I feel stupid saying it, but it feels like he was sent to me, to help me. So no, he's not exactly an imaginary friend. More like Casper the friendly ghost.
I don't wish on stars very much anymore. Mostly because I'm scared the wish would come true. I don't think wishing on a star is magical or anything, maybe he was just an answer to my prayers. I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment