Sunday, January 22, 2012

When I wrote this short story I never tried to make it realistic or anything like that. It's just one of the nightmares I had this week that really fucked with my head. Tell me what you think and stuff.


Everything was gray and brown with splashes of yellow warning signs on the walls. I didn't know how I got in this place, but something told me I shouldn't be here. I realized that I couldn't remember anything. I didn't know who I was, I didn't remember anything. I looked at my surroundings. I seemed to be in the corner of a building, two hallways connected to where I was standing. A hallway to my left and one on my right. It looked like one hell of a creepy elementary school or something.
A door opened in the hallway. A small and skinny man walked out, dressed all in white. He looked in my direction and I froze. He had black eyes. He smiled, but there was nothing friendly about it. Ice seemed to cover my heart and it was harder for me to breathe. I wanted to run, but my legs couldn't move. The man continued across the hall and when he disappeared through a brown door I exhaled the breath I didn't realize I'd been holding in. My hands were shaking.
"Hey."
I whirled around when I heard the voice. A young girl sat in the chair. She had dark skin and wore a yellow dress. She held a toy monkey and looked to be about fifteen or sixteen years old.
"You're not a patient here," she observed. She spoke with a Spanish accent, and very softly; it was almost a whisper, as if she didn't want anyone one else to hear.
I didn't respond, just looked around nervously.
"J.R. will want to see you. He's doing his rounds right now. Which means he'll be in House 3 for the next twenty minutes. Take the hall on your right and go all the way down. It's the last door on your right."
I nodded but I still didn't say anything. I walked down the hall as if in a trance. How did I get here? Who was that girl and what did she mean by 'patient'? I didn't like being here. I hesitated before opening the last door on the right, but I opened it anyways, as if my hands gave me no choice. It appeared to be a large laundry room. I walked in and there were four large men sitting at a table. They looked up when I entered and one of them smiled.
"Becki, where you been? We're about to start a game of black jack." He wore a baseball cap and had a friendly face with a big smile.
"Umm...."
"You okay?"
"I don't feel so good." I answered.
The man withe the baseball cap stood up and pulled out his chair,"Sit down, girl. You look pale. What happened? Where were you?"
"Bathroom." I lied and sat down, folding my hands in my lap.
"Damn, you were pukin huh? You can use my quarters and lay down for awhile if you want. I'll cover your shift. J.R. won't mind."
The door slammed open, banging against the wall before closing again and a tall man with a thick beard and a stern face walked in.
"Who the fuck was in House 15?" he demanded angrily.
One of the men at the table shrugged. "We been here the whole time, J.R. Becki was in the bathroom pukin."
J.R.'s eyes met mine and I felt myself shrink into the chair.
"No she wasn't," J.R. briskly walked forward and grabbed my arm, roughly pulling me out of the chair. "The hell were you thinking? You know how fucking dangerous House 15 is. You might as well have a seat in the god damn electric chair if you think waltzing around there is okay."
The man with the baseball cap put a hand on J.R.'s shoulder, "Hey, relax man."
"Neil, you know how serious this is." J.R. snapped, "I could fire her over this.
"Maybe she has a reason. Let her explain," Neil said.
J.R. released my arm and crossed his arms expectantly. I rubbed my arm where he had held me tightly. I would probably get a bruise there. I stared at my grey shoes, trying to think of something to say, but my mind was spinning a mile a minute.
"Spit it out, Becki," J.R. said.
"I don't remember anything."
"What?"
"I don't remember you, I don't know who these guys are, I don't know where I am, and I don't know who the hell I am." Tears welled up in  my eyes and I wiped them away with my sleeve.
Neil raised his eyebrows and looked at J.R.
"Jesus fuck...." J.R. said, "You're serious. You don't remember anything?"
I sat back down in the chair and shook my head.
"Shit," Neil rubbed his forehead with his hand, "There's been some weird shit going on recently, especially since...."
"Yeah," J.R. said as if agreeing with him, but deep in thought.
"What do we do with her?" One of the men at the table asked.
"Well can't you like, send me home or something?" I asked.
J.R. snorted, "Hun, you don't have a home. You've been living here for the past three months, working as a janitor ever since....ever since your father passed away."
I knew that what he said should have an emotional impact on me. To learn that I don't really have a home, that my father is dead. I didn't feel sad, I didn't feel mournful. I had no memory of my father, so I didn't have anything to miss as far as I knew.
"Wait," Neil said, "She has a chance none of us have. She can leave. She doesn't remember anything."
"The government isn't as understanding as you are, Neil," J.R. replied, "She's seen too much and that's all they care about. She can't leave."
"What do you mean 'seen too much'?" I asked. J.R. didn't answer and neither did Neil. From looking at their faces I realized that I probably didn't want to know.
"I don't think she should stay here though," One of the men at the table interjected, "This place is probably too intense for her."
"Insanity isn't contagious," J.R. said condescendingly.
"Are you sure?" Neil challenged, "Her memory is gone. It's not like she got a bump on the head. I saw her three hours ago and she was completely fine then. Something is happening inside her brain, something is wrong. Ever since those two patients went missing, this place has been weird, man."
J.R. tugged on his beard with his fingers thoughtfully. "Look. For now, she'll just wait in her quarters until-"
He didn't get to finish his sentence. There was a loud BOOM that made the whole floor shudder, as if there were an earthquake or something large fell in the other room.
"Fuck," J.R. swore, "We gotta get out of here. Now."
The BOOM came again, shaking the floor. The men ran from the room, but J.R. grabbed my arm and pulled me to a door and shoved me through it. It was dark and the air was stuffy. "Stay here until I come back for you," J.R. said and he shut the door.
I was too scared to move and I shivered, holding my arms. I almost didn't want to breathe, scared that there might be a consequence to my very presence. I waited in there for what seemed like hours, but what was probably only twenty minutes.
When the door opened, I was surprised to see the young girl from earlier.
"You can't stay in here. They're coming." she spoke softly again, but urgently.
"Who's coming?"
"Follow me." She grabbed my arm and led me out of the laundry room with her toy monkey in her other hand.
BOOM.
"Hurry." she whispered.
BOOM.
We were running down the hall, but our footsteps seemed to be muffled, as if we were running on carpet, not linoleum.
BOOM.
I saw double doors at the end of the hall with a sign above them. It was marked EXIT. I just had to make it to those doors.
BOOM.
We reached the doors but when I pushed on them nothing happened. They were locked.
"It's okay," she said, "I'm safe here."
I didn't say anything. Her innocent smile from before wasn't as innocent anymore. I knew that she wasn't lying, that she truly believed she was safe. She also knew that I wasn't safe. She still had her small fingers around my arm, but she was gripping it too tightly now.
"Let go." I tugged on my arm, but her nails dug even more into my skin.
I pushed her hard, pressing my hand into her gut and she started to fall to the floor, but her grip didn't falter and I was brought down with her, toppling over her. She started crying uncontrollably, tears running down her face while I kept trying to pull my arm from her grasp. She opened her mouth wide, in almost an inhuman way. She sunk her teeth into my arm and ripped, tore through my skin, raking down my arm with her teeth while I screamed, kicked and hit her with my free arm. I could feel her teeth scraping against my bone and my head swirled.
All of a sudden she stopped. She released my bleeding arm and I scrambled away from her, cradling my arm. My eyes widened when she tore into her own wrists with her teeth. She was still crying, the tears mixing with the blood on her cheeks.
BOOM.
I turned and ran, not caring where I was going as long as it was far away from her. I turned a corner and found another hall, completely full of people. All dressed in white. All their eyes were black. I took a step back. I knew this was House 15. Somehow I knew.
Their skin started to melt and bubble on their faces and their arms. Some of them screamed and others just smiled or walked blindly. I cried out when my hands started to burn. I looked down, but there was no fire or anything that would cause my fingers to burn. The skin started to bubble around my short, dirty fingernails. My hands were melting. I screamed.
One of them grabbed me. With melting lips and bubbling skin it said, "You shouldn't die."
BOOM.

No comments:

Post a Comment